Sunday, November 6, 2011

JMU has lost one of its finest...

I know it's rare that I post twice within a few days, much less on the same night, but sadly I learned of some unexpected and heartbreaking news earlier this evening and felt compelled to write at least a short post. Tonight, the JMU Nation is mourning the loss of an incredible friend, student, cheerleader, JMU sports fanatic, and all around great guy. I met Nick through mutual friends in the Student Duke Club...we would all sit together at basketball games and other SDC/athletic events. Then, once our group broke off and hosted our own tailgates separate from the SDC, he usually dropped by to hang out with us for a bit before heading to the stadium to cheer. His enthusiasm and school spirit were contagious...at every football game before he became a cheerleader, you would always find him decked out with his whole face painted purple and gold, and wearing his infamous purple vest that was decorated with various JMU gameday buttons. Nick was one of those people who was a friend to everyone...he had an incredible personality and always seemed to be in a great mood. He will truly be missed by the entire JMU community, but we will keep his legacy alive at every gameday...

Nick at one of our tailgates - Sept. 2009

Please keep Nick's family and loved ones in your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time.

This sudden loss definitely puts things into perspective and makes you realize that tomorrow isn't guaranteed for any of us, no matter how young. He was only 23...I'm also 23.  Here's hoping that Nick's life will inspire us not to waste a single day, but instead to live each day to the fullest, pursue our dreams, and always, always tell those close to us how much we love and care about them. 2011 keeps finding ways to remind me of how very important all of those things are...especially the last one. Even though it's been almost 10 months since Dad died, I'll always regret not being home near the end, and I wish more than anything that I would have been there to tell him one last "I love you," but now I have to wait until we are reunited in Heaven, which will be amazing beyond our wildest dreams, but that doesn't make living life on earth without him any easier in the meantime.  Situations like this just bring those feelings rushing back to the forefront, and while we can't change our past actions, we can adjust our priorities for the future. So, I guess what I'm trying to suggest, in my roundabout way, is to make sure that you invest more time, energy, and love into your relationships and make them a priority over every other aspect of your life...and believe me when I say that I need to take that advice more than anyone else I can think of.

On that note, I suppose I should attempt to get some sleep. Signing off tonight with a heavy heart, and keeping Nick's family in my thoughts and prayers...RIP JMU Jester, we'll miss you, but will see you again someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment