Sunday, July 14, 2013

Summer Squash & Couscous Casserole

Nothing says summer quite like fresh garden-grown veggies and the delish dishes that you can make with them!  That's my opinion, at least.  When I was home for the July 4th weekend, Mom sent me back to RVA with a bag full of zucchini and yellow squash from her garden.  I always really appreciate when she does that, because I enjoy finding new recipes and pulling out tried and true ones to put the veggies to good use!  However, I always feel a bit guilty for taking them, considering all of the time and effort that Mom puts into garden (i.e. tilling, weeding, planting, watering, picking veggies, etc.).  Most of you know that I'm not exactly someone who likes getting my hands dirty or working outside (unless I'm running haha), so despite watching her work in her garden year after year, I've never actually helped out in that regard (sorry Mom!).  Yet, she never hesitates to send me home with some of my fave produce!  I know I don't say it enough, but thanks Mom! :)

After finishing a short run one night earlier this week, I was hungry and didn't feel like going to any elaborate measures to make dinner, so I just sautéed some yellow squash with red onions, garlic, and lots of black pepper and oregano. Topped it off with some grated pecorino romano cheese...totally simple and delicious!

(Sorry, iPhone pic)

I looked up some new yellow squash recipes during the week and came across this Cooking Light recipe for Baked Couscous with Summer Squash & Herbs.  Per usual, I used that recipe as my base, but tweaked some things to make it my own. :)

Summer Squash & Couscous Casserole

Ingredients:

  • 1 (14 oz.) can vegetable broth
  • 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
  • 2 cups sliced yellow summer squash
  • 1/4 cup minced red onions (or yellow or green onions...I just used red b/c that's what I already had on hand)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
  • 1/4 cup egg substitute
  • 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp. white pepper
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp. parsley
  • Chopped fresh basil

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Bring 1 cup veggie broth to a boil in a small saucepan; gradually stir in uncooked couscous.  Remove from heat - cover and let stand 5 minutes.  Fluff couscous with a fork once all liquid has been absorbed.

Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add squash, onions, garlic, basil, oregano, and black pepper; saute 3 minutes or until squash is tender.


Combine couscous, squash, and half of cheeses in a large bowl.


Then, stir in remaining veggie broth, egg substitute, white pepper, parsley, and red pepper flakes.


Spoon mixture into a greased 8x8 baking dish.  Top with remaining cheeses.  Bake at 400 F for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment