Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Jalapeño Popper Dip

Last weekend, a group of us celebrated our friend Caroline's 29th birthday with a mid-afternoon get-together at her house.  That morning, as I was trying to decide what to make for the party (and therefore, perusing my Pinterest boards, per usual, haha), I almost settled on making the Spicy Maryland Crab Dip that I made for the Super Bowl and on several other occasions since.  But then I changed my mind and decided to try something new...thus I whipped up a Jalapeño Popper Dip, which I adapted from this recipe.  Turns out that was a good decision :)

Jalapeño Popper Dip


Ingredients:
  • 1 - 8 oz. package Neufchatel (Light) cream cheese
  • 1 cup fat-free or light sour cream
  • 2 tbsp. light mayo
  • 1 - 4 oz. can diced jalapeños, well drained or 4-6 fresh jalapeños, roasted & diced 
  • 2 cups shredded (reduced-fat) cheddar cheese - I used 1 cup sharp + 1 cup mild
  • 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 tbsp. dried parsley
  • 3 tbsp. butter or margarine, melted

In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo until well-blended.

Add diced jalapeños, cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Mix together.

Transfer mixture into a greased 8x8 baking dish, spreading evenly.


Blend bread crumbs, 1/4 cup grated parmesan, and dried parsley together. Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over the cheese mixture. Pour melted butter evenly over topping (I was lazy and just dropped pats of softened margarine on top to let them melt in the oven, which worked out fine, but I would probably recommend actually melting the butter first and pouring it on top).


Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and the dip is hot throughout.

Serve hot with whole grain tortilla chips, pita chips, crusty bread, or crackers. Enjoy! :)


This just might become my new favorite dip to bring to parties!  It's super simple to throw together, tastes like jalapeño poppers without all of the work, and tastes deliciously spicy with just the right amount of kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment